American singer Ariana Grande said she is “broken” after a suicide terror attack hit a stadium in Manchester just as her concert ended, killing 22 persons including children, and has suspended her world tour in its wake.
Tmz.com quoted sources as saying that Grande will not perform at her scheduled performance at The O2 here on Thursday, and has decided for now to put the entire European tour on hold. She was scheduled to perform in England, Belgium, Poland, Germany and Switzerland.
“Broken from the bottom of my heart. I am so sorry. I don’t have words,” tweeted the 23-year-old Grammy nominated singer, known mostly for her pop music.
According to the website, Grande is “in hysterics” after the bombing.
“Grande is incapable of performing for anyone. She and her team, we’re told, are also deeply concerned about security,” said a source.
The singer’s manager Scooter Braun said in a statement posted on social media: “Tonight our hearts are broken. Words cannot express our sorror for the victims and families harmed in this senseless attack.
“We mourn the lives of children and loved ones taken by this cowardly act. We ask all of you to hold the victims, their families, and all those affected in your hearts and prayers.”
The explosion, the second in the city in 21 years, took place around 10.35 p.m. (local time) on Monday at the Manchester Arena where around 20,000 fans, mostly youngsters, had gathered.
The fans were streaming out of the arena, shortly after Grande had left the stage, as the explosion occurred.
At least 60 ambulances attended the scene of the blast, the UK North West Ambulance Service tweeted. The Manchester Royal Infirmary Hospital was blocked off to all but essential staff after the attack.
No group or individual has so far claimed responsibility for the attack, but supporters of the Islamic State (IS) terror group were seen celebrating the blast on social media, the British media reported.