Golden Globe Award winning actor Kevin Bacon says he is still working on the TV revival of his 1990 cult film “Tremors”.
In 2015, it was announced that “Tremors” reboot, starring Bacon, was in the works. A year later, he said the series had landed at Amazon Studios. And since then, its progress has been kept under wraps.
In an interview with IANS over phone from London, Bacon, who will serve as the executive producer and actor in the TV series, confirmed that it’s not cancelled.
“We are still working on it. We are getting closer,” said the actor who played a character who saved his town from underground monsters in the sci-fi film.
While the series is still getting developed, from May 12 onwards he will be seen playing the title role Dick in the new show “I Love Dick” on the streaming platform Amazon Prime Video.
“We have finished (shooting) the first season. We haven’t got an order for the second season. We are on a hiatus,” he said.
The first look of the show gives a fair idea of how bold it is going to be. Apart from the emphasis on “Dick”, Bacon is seen shirtless carrying a lamb. His character is also referred to as “a Roman God bringing the spirit of sex into our lives”.
Was he a little conscious of doing such a steamy show, which is an adaptation of Chris Kraus’s 1997 novel’
“Yeah. It is a steamy show… What I like about the show is of course, it’s done in a real way.
“It’s not perfect or beautifully shot. Sometimes it’s funny and awkward like the real thing,” said the “Footloose” star, who has also starred in the erotic thriller “Wild Things”.
Bacon plays an object of fascination in Jill Soloway’s “I Love Dick”. What if someone actually develops an obsessive attraction to him’
“That’s interesting because you gotta assume that anybody… At whom a woman throws herself… Who wouldn’t want that’ But at one point, in a moment of honesty, when you are in that position… You also wonder whether or not you deserve the adulation.”
While the show has a feminist theory, two years ago, Bacon had made a video demanding for more full-frontal male nudity in movies. Does he still think that Hollywood has a problem with male nudity’
“That was a joke. I made that video which was supposed to be comedy. That’s not my state of mind,” he said.
The show will also be available to viewers in India, where censorship is strong and bold topics are often not publicly discussed. What kind of response is he expecting from the audience here’
“Oh. I didn’t realise there was so much of censorship there. It’s a very out there show. It pushes the envelope,” he said.
But would he like to act in or direct a film in India’
“Of course I would. I’ve always wanted to go. It hasn’t happened yet, but hopefully soon,” said the “Losing Chase” director.
Apart from bagging a Golden Globe, he was also honoured with a Screen Actors Guild Award and a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.
But an Oscar, even a nomination, is yet to come his way. Hoping for things to change before he turns 60 next year’
“I don’t think that’s gonna happen. I am grateful for what I have, feeling good and healthy. I just want to keep working and challenging myself,” he signed off.
(Natalia Ningthoujam can be contacted at natalia.n@ ians.in)
By Natalia Ningthoujam